Offering Family Fun for Everyone!
Saturday, July 4 and Sunday, July 5
A weekend of celebrations and FUN along the beautiful St. Mary’s River at Sherbrooke Village!
Saturday, July 4
We will commence our festivities this weekend in celebration of Sherbrooke Villages Golden Jubilee, our 50th year as a NS Provincial Museum.
Join us as we launch “RICHES”, the Rural Institute for Cultural Heritage and Environmental Sustainability with the dedication of the RICHES Learning and Conference Room located at the Masonic Lodge building (building # 13). Beginning at 10:30 am.
OLD TIME COUNTY FAIR – The Old-Fashioned County Fair begins at 12:00 pm in the Village Centre Field! There will be field games, a noise parade, ice cream making, tug of war, pie eating contes, cake auction and much more! Plan your tug of war team early and be sure to save room for the pie eating competition!
CARDBOARD BOAT REGATTA - Register at the Boat Club Wharf for the Cardboard Boat Regatta from 3:00 pm for an 4:00 pm launch. Costumes and boat descriptions encouraged.
Theme – Celebrating Our Golden Jubilee!
Race # 1 - Children’s under 14, (parents/guardians will be responsible for their children) launch at 4 pm
Race #2 - will be for those 14 and over, launch will be at 4:30 pm
Registration begins at 2 pm in the Sherbrooke Village Centrefield. Prize categories in both race will be:
- “Fastest Time Award”
- “Floating Spirit Award” - Best Boat/Costume design
- “Titanic Award” - Going Down in Style
Construction Material & Rules
- Acceptable Building Materials (Supplied by Your Team)
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Cardboard Boxes
- Cardboard Blocks
- Cardboard Carpet Tubes (No Sauna Tubes)
- Duct tape
- Rope – 12 ft.
- One Gallon Water Jug
- Canoe Paddles
- Unacceptable Building Material
- NO wood, plastic, rubber, inflatable devices, styrofoam, fiberglass or plastic.
- NO caulking compounds, two-part/mixed adhesives, glues or epoxy mixtures or coatings are allowed.
- NO electrical, gasoline, benzene, propane or other chemical or electrical propulsion systems are permitted.
- NO surfboard style boat is allowed.
- NO Pre-treated cardboard such as waxed cardboard.
- Everyone must be in a boat, no swimmers or pulling/pushing boats from the water
- Decorations are allowed and encouraged provided they are not used as structural or floatation elements.
- Crew costumes are encouraged.
- Design is left to builder(s). Let your imagination take over. Get those creative juices flowing!
- Your boat must be propelled by canoe paddles. The crew compartment CANNOT be enclosed so as to interfere with escape.
- Each boat must carry a closed gallon plastic jug with 12’ rope tether firmly secured to the vessel. Gallon jugs are to remain inside boat while racing, they are not to be used as floatation for the vessel. This is for use in locating and retrieving any sunken remains.
- During competition, at least one of the crew must be IN the boat, not towing it, or holding it between their legs, swimming, or allowing the life jacket to provide the floatation of the vessel.
- Every crew member that is entering the water must wear a personal floatation device (PFD). Not to be used to float the vessel in any way!
- JUDGES DECIDE ON THE INTERPRETATION OF THE RULES.
Sunday, July 5
SAWMILL & GOLDMINE FROLIC AT THE OLD MILL TRAIL
Join us for a little excitement and a few laughs around the mill for our friendly woodsmen’s competition. Competitions include hatchet throw, kettle boil, double buck saw and spike drive. Competitions are free and open to everyone! Samples of our homemade baked beans and brown bread will be available. Members of the Heritage Goldenville Society will show visitors how to pan for gold (the real thing, not fool's gold!). There'll be samples of our "good as gold" recipes for baked beans and brown bread. Brad Burns will be with us again this year working on one of his beautiful chainsaw sculptures. Beginning at 2:00 pm”